Brief History of Holy Resurrection Armenian Apostolic Church
In 1910, the first Armenians arrive in South Milwaukee, Wisconsin to work in the local factories. The majority are from Kayseri province in Turkish Armenia, from the villages of Tomarza, Jujoon, Everek, Chomaglou, Sivas and Kharpet.
After several years, the Armenian population grows along with the need for religious services. A Board of Trustees is elected with Hagop Yelanjian as Chairman, Mgerditch Vahradian as Vice Chairman and Kaloust Dadian as Treasurer. Services are held by visiting Armenian clergymen at St. Mark's Episcopal Church. After WWI, many of the Armenian men travel back to their homeland, some to bring back wives who were left behind, others return with brides for themselves and prospective brides for their friends. The Armenian population in South Milwaukee continues to grow.
In the year 1924, the city's Armenian elders call a meeting at Franke's Hall to organize a building fund committee. Soon after the initial meeting the committee purchased the former St. Luke's Church at 909 Michigan Avenue, for $3,200 and invested an additional eleven thousand dollars to remodel the structure to meet their needs.
On October 3 and 4, 1924, Soorp Haroutune Armenian
Apostolic Church is consecrated by Archbishop Dirayr Hovanessian.
It is the first Armenian church in Wisconsin.
February 7, 1960, fire strikes Soorp Haroutune and the Alter is destroyed. During this year, the membership voted to construct a new church. Plans were presented to the congregation and on December 10th, construction was started on a new $125,000 edifice. On July 6, 1961, Archbishop Sion Manoogian officiated the cornerstone blessing of the new church, and on April 15, 1962, the new Soorp Haroutune Church is consecrated.
In 1963 Holy Resurrection Church becomes the new name of
Soorp Haroutune through a directive from the Diocese.
Holy Resurrection is a translation of Soorp Haroutune.